KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Thursday, December 1, 2016

Santa is Sewing


I thought I would take a break from all my sewing and share some of my favorite things with you. They might inspire or help you with your holiday list.
First up is a vintage framed picture. This is one of my all time favorites of my husband's brothers and sister, Jim, Kevin, Ellen and Rick circa 1966 oh my gosh 50 years ago!!!. Either as a gift or for yourself, it is a wonderful thing. You can find all kinds of winter/Christmas/Hanukkah frames out there to make it even better!


Not everything on my list is sewing related......I love my Instantpot! I bought it this summer and am still getting used to cooking with a pressure cooker. Today I made PERFECT hard boiled eggs that peeled with ease. This is a perfect gift for the time challenged.


Local art is always a thoughtful gift. I am always on the lookout to support those out there who are so talented to give us such beautiful things for our homes.


Succulents! They are the new thing in plants. Very easy to grow and practically fool proof. Buy some that are already potted in a pretty dish for a quick gift.


Some pretty handmade pillows. If you have an embroidery machine this would be a lot of fun to do! My friend Cynthia who lives in Arkansas made this cute little bird pillow for me. Every year I take it out I think of her and it adds a perfect Christmas color to my room,


A pincushion is always a good gift if you are doing an exchange or if you know a collector (me!). My friend Stephanie made this one for me. This is always a fun way to experiment with colors you might not be sure of with a very little time commitment.


Snips! I love these and have many pairs floating around. They are so much easier to use as you are sewing than scissors. The ones on the left I found at a quilt show and they are nice and sharp.


Did you know that your seam ripper can get dull? Think about that blade that you use to rip out those stitches when you reverse sew.......I need a new one every year!


Vintage fabrics to repurpose. Everything in this quilt is vintage except the embroidery floss. It is one of my most favorite things I have ever made.


For those of you that might not know this is called "That Purple Thang" I love it and it is invaluable, a must have for all sewers. From pushing out corners to holding down scraps it works!


A subscription to a magazine. I know the trend seems to be moving away from these but I find it very satisfying to snuggle down with actual paper held in my hands rather than an ereader for some things. Plus the patterns are easier to access.


This is something you all may have from back in the day. You can use it instead of a hera marker to mark quilts for quilting. Go easy though and test to see how hard to press down.



How about some labels for your quilts/bags or any other things you sew? The top ones I bought a few years back and I don't remember where I got them. The bottom labels are from an adorable etsy shop called Emily Ann's Kloset . I just saw that she has some triangle labels that look really fun too.


A book is always a welcome gift. I pride myself in searching out perfect books for perfect people. Quilting or not a book is a good thing!


My final thing is this sponge called Scrub Daddy. I love this and can't believe how well it works. I have one I use for bathroom cleaning and one in the kitchen. You can even throw it in the dishwasher to sanitize it. A smiling face to make cleaning a bit better (well let's just pretend)!
All these opinions are my own just in case you are wondering. No one gave me anything to plug these!

I hope you enjoyed my list and maybe there is something on there that works for you! Now I will go back to my Christmas sewing.....

Don't forget to vote. Look in the upper right hand corner of the blog. It will be interesting to see the results.

Kelly

13 comments:

  1. Hardboiled eggs in a pressure cooker????? Details! I need details!!! Love your list and agree with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your list. Where do you get the Scrub Daddy sponges?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your vintage fabric piece! And will be looking into some of your product suggestions, very helpful, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting to see the demographics of your facebook poll. Your post makes me want to get into my studio and use my favorite things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you didn't ask but I'm going to include your link in my "I Like!" Thursday post okay?
    It is for lists like yours of things you found to like that week. LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the painting! Who is the artist? Thanks for s great list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super good post. Got me thinking! First I have to check out that Instant Pot. Then the books and magazine. Can I just HAVE that bird pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those those metal thread snips too. Go to allstitch.net That's where I buy them, they are $0.99 each and are absolutely fantastic! I gave them to all my quilting friends. I think they are actually bonzai trimmers, very sharp. Thanks for your great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great list of gift ideas. I've never heard of a scrub daddy but it sounds great, I like that it has a smiley face.

    ReplyDelete
  11. what a fun post filled with great ideas Kelly!
    I picked up the scrubber for stockings this year :)
    i Love the painting and the framed vintage photo is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lists like this are such fun and these ideas are really good. Scrub Daddy??? Who knew?
    I was on amazon looking for a new expandable steam basket and there was one that everybody loved for their Instant Pot, something I hadn't even heard of. Thanks for the inspiring post, Kelly!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!