KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Finally!


Oh my goodness, it has been a long time since I felt this horrible! I think I had a light version of the flu. Super tired sleeping like 12 -13 hours a day and no appetite. It's been almost 2 weeks since I sewed.
Here is my 5th Sew Together Bag. I can't say I am getting any better making them but at least I don't need to look at the tutorial! I really like the outside fabric on this one and feel like it is very feminine.


The inside is also kind of girly, all pretty in pink and green.


Pattern: Mixing It Up by Lori Holt of Bee In My Bonnet

I machine quilted this baby up today and am very happy with my color choices. I think it will appeal to a lot of people for the mini quilt auction.


Don't you like the backing too? I am keeping that vintage vibe going. I asked for permission from the designer before I used the pattern. She gave it to me as long as I had her name and the name of the pattern on the back, a good think to keep in mind when using someone's pattern.



Once again I used the glue-it-down-method instead of pins. I love that fine tip!


After you draw on a thin bead of glue just hit it with the iron until it is dry and voila it is instantly basted waiting for you to sew it down. It also allows you to get your miters perfect too! I may just save this as some handwork to have on hand while waiting for a certain baby to arrive.....


This cool pin arrived in the mail today from Entropy Always Wins. Just for the record I started to quilt in 1976 before it was cool, and there was no decent fabric or magazines or books or patterns....

Kelly

14 comments:

  1. Oh! Sorry to hear you are not well. I must say you do a beautiful job when you are under the weather! Hope the bright cheery fabrics have you feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take care of yourself and get better soon. Cold and flus these days really do knock you out. You're becoming a whizz at those sew together bags!! That retro look kitchen fabric is the most perfect fabric for the back of your mixer quilt. I laughed at your badge!! but then nearly 40 years of quilting is not to be sneezed at.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This STB is a beauty - I love your fabric choices! You continually amaze me with your fabric stash. I agree with Rachel's comments re the retro look kitchen fabric. Hope this post means that you are feeling a bit better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you've got the crud. Hope you're back to normal soon. Love what you've shown here. I made my first quilt in 1972.....and polyester was king!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry you've been sick! I do hope you are feeling better pronto. Your little projects are super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're on the upswing from the cruddy flu. I just finished two bags as well. Challenging, but cute as all get out. Love your fabric choices. Did you get interested in quilting because of the bicentennial?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been quilting that long too! I got Quilters Newsletter when it was 3 typed pages! No rotary cutters and mats then! Love your projects. Your colors are always just perfect! Feel better soon! XO

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops! I just erased my comment! Now I have to start over. Got a new laptop and still can't type very well on this keyboard! Something along the lines of "old dog, new tricks"!

    Glad that you are feeling better. The flu is No Fun, and tough to get over. My sister has been sick for 6 weeks.

    I love your newest bag - so cute and girly! And the Mixer quilt-let is darling! I love that fabric on the back - what a hoot!

    I've not seen the glue trick for the binding. I need to try that! Where did you get that fine tip for the glue? That looks like a critical element to the process.

    Love your pin! I've been quilting a long time too. I started just after high school (late 60's), but got serious in 1979. No rotary cutters, not much 100% cotton fabric. You know! Quilting has come a long way, baby! hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to read you have not been well. Not much fun when this happens!
    Good to see a little bit of stitching happening now. Love these projects.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sorry you have been sick but glad you are on the up swing.
    Such a cute bag and a great glue tip. Where did you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ditto Sharons remark and question...
    I've not seen the glue trick for the binding. I need to try that! Where did you get that fine tip for the glue? That looks like a critical element to the process"
    '

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your little bag! Very cute mini quilt. I hope it does well in the auction. Is this an auction for a guild? Great idea about gluing the binding down! Very glad to hear you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another pretty STB! The fabrics are perfect! As is the fabric for your mini quilt! The pin is great. Such an accomplishment to have been quilting for that many years. Good for you to have found your passion early. Hope you are continuing to feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your new bag looks really really great! It looks completely finished and perfect to me.
    Your new little auction quilt is great - the backing fabric is one of my favorites! lol
    where did you find the glue tip? I've been looking and looking. Isn't that the best method? I love it!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!