KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Friday, September 21, 2012

Birthday Present


There are a lot of family and friend birthdays in September. I made this for my friend, Cynthia who lives far away and I don't see very often.

I really enjoyed making it and learned a thing or two.....I free cut the shapes and hand appliqued it with no line to follow. Very freeing and it came out pretty good. I read some where that you should trust your eye because it does not lie. So that is what I did, just kept looking at it and seeing if it looked pretty even.

The size of the piece is about 3 x 3 so I bought a frame that was 5 x 5. I took some mat board for the back, poked some holes in with a needle and sewed it to the mat board. All the fabrics are cotton and the background is a linen which gave it a cool, textured look.

Happy Birthday Cynthia!

Kelly

9 comments:

  1. what a great gift! such a great idea.
    surprised its that small from the picture, even makes it more impressive!
    Kathie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is so sweet! You are so creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Cynthia. I miss you, especially at S&T!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cynthia is going to love this beautiful gift.It's really beautiful Kelly. My eyes might not lie but sometimes they likes to play tricks..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's really tiny applique!
    That bird looks adorable. Great idea for a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a special gift. It turned out great. I'm surprised how well you can see a 1/4" or even 1/8".
    I'm hand piecing those cores by eye and it's actually working.
    Lucky Cynthia!

    ReplyDelete
  7. really sweet. excellent job winging it. heh heh.

    ReplyDelete


  8. As a child of God, I am greater than anything that can happen to me.Peadiatric Intensive Care Unit

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!