KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Friday, December 3, 2010

Blue Pin Cushion

This was going to be a Christmas gift but I decided to make the person this was intended for something else. I thought it was a little too small. It is about 6" x 3".

I took some random size strips and put them on a scrap piece of fabric for a foundation. As you can see they are not all side by side, some are laid on top of each other. Next I stitched down the centers and sides to keep them all in place, nothing was planned about the stitching until I did it. Trim it down into the desired size sew around leaving a 2" opening and stuff with ground up walnut shells. This gives it a really nice weight and keeps it from falling off the arm of the chair!



This is a napkin I bought at Anthropologie a couple of years ago. Not only did I like the fabric but I loved these little ball things on each corner. To make them, cut out a circle, experiment for a size you like. Sew a running stitch around the edge, stick some fiber fill in the center and pull the threads tight. I wrapped the thread around it a couple of times and then sew through the wrappings 2 times and knotted it off. I turned the little balls around so the raw edges were on the outside instead of the way they are on the napkin.
I ended up using this for my applique and the size is not too small! Oh well I now have a nice small little pin cushion.....

Kelly

5 comments:

  1. A great gift idea! I love your blue scraps and the napkin. For the longest time I stayed away from blues and now suddenly I am in love with the color..
    The pincushion is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those little poochies on the corners are perfect! the size isn't too small either, i have one on an altoids tin that is smaller than yours and i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it, that's very creative and the best part is the corner bits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. O.k., I'm lovin' your style - so fresh and fun!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!