KNOWLEDGE IS POWER, BUT IT DOESN'T MAKE MY BLOW DRYER RUN!

Monday, October 25, 2010

My Process

I thought I would show you how I am going about doing the side panels of the Roseville Quilt. There are over 150 pieces and the idea of picking out fabrics is way outside my comfort zone.
First I numbered each piece on the pattern and gave it a color. I used the picture as a reference for colors but I also switched some out to something I liked.

 I traced all the pieces on freezer paper, wrote down the number and the color and cut them out. I separated them into sets 1-10, 11-20, 21-30 and so on, to make it a little easier to keep track of.


Next I laid out all my fabrics on the kitchen table, there was a lot more than I thought....It was a lot easier to see what I had and to make sure certain colors look good together.




As you can see not a lot of brown, yellow or orange. I might need to beef them up!


Then I just went up and down the kitchen table and picked out a color that was written on the freezer paper. I didn't spend a lot of time choosing a fabric just went for a variety of colors. It worked pretty well, I only changed a few colors that were either too similar or just really didn't work.

Next I traced around them and cut them out. I kept them in their sets, because once the paper comes off I wanted to make sure I didn't spend hours trying to match them back up.


I then decided to test them right on the pattern. My background fabric is a light color with very pale blue polka dots, so the pattern color worked for me. It took me 2 days to do this with all the pieces but I think in the end it was worth it. I now have to cut out the stems and start the applique process. Most likely I will only glue down a few at a time because it is a long piece of fabric.
Tonight, after 2 days of fabric all over the kitchen, my husband said "The show Hoarders called, they are coming over".

Kelly

4 comments:

  1. Wow - I think I have stash envy...look at all that fabric! Lots of work goes into the blocks but they are certainly beautiful. Thanks for showing your process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wowza! that looks like a load of work, but look at all that fabric goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Kelly....what a process. but the result is worth it, ck

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you showed how you do this, it so good to see how others create. Your blocks are looking fabulous Kelly xo

    ReplyDelete

I love to read your comments, they make my day!